September 21, 2021
Preferred Location: Washington DC
Preferred Career Level: Associate
You will report to the Head of Operations in a critically important role for our high-growth start-up. You will pioneer a new function on the Demex administrative team as an enthusiastic, get-it-done, team-driven, experienced Finance Associate to help us grow and grow with us. This is an opportunity to shape a function within a rapidly growing company, learn a broad range of skills rapidly and immersively. You will make an impact on climate resilience around the world.
Learn more about Demex.
Contact us for more information or to apply! Reception@TheDemexGroup.com
As a part of our administrative team, you must demonstrate that you:
- Are quantitatively oriented with passion for helping businesses mitigate the financial impacts of a changing climate;
- Are details oriented, deadline driven;
- Are self-motivated to learn, build out and own Demex’s financial operations;
- Enjoy wearing many hats and will roll up your sleeves to be strategic while also performing hands-on tasks;
- Embrace a customer-focused action-oriented approach to your career.
We know that you will be successful because:
- You love being part of a small team with close multi-functional ties from person to person;
- You despise organizational politics, and you devote every ounce of your time/energy/passion toward achieving your professional mission;
- You have some knowledge and prior experience in finance, accounting, data, technology, and you can point to opportunities where you used automation to improve financial operations.
You will primarily be responsible for building and supporting the system operations and design for GAAP, Statutory, and Regulatory accounting, and financial operations. You will also facilitate audits and develop automated processes to improve financial efficiency and effectiveness.
More specifically you will:
- Build and manage GAAP, Statutory, and Regulatory accounting and reporting, including preparation and delivery of regulated filings;
- Coordinate with executives, our board, regulators, investors, and other stakeholders for reporting;
- Support and manage external audits;
- Build and support proforma income models for ongoing business management;
- Build and support investment models for subsequent funding rounds;
- Provide significant contributions to the automation of financial operations;
- Lead various ad hoc accounting projects primarily focused on month-end-close, statutory compliance, and stakeholder support;
- Coordinate all banking relationships.
Your day-to-day activities will consist of:
- Maintain Quickbook operations such as invoicing, payments, account reconciliation and cash management;
- Process and reimburse all expense reports and corporate credit cards;
- Building and support proforma cash models and reports;
- Building and managing processes for accounts payable and accounts receivable.
Your Core Competencies:
The position requires a postgraduate education (or commensurate experience) in a quantitative field along with over 2 years of experience. Venture-backed start-up experience is highly preferred with a focus in InsurTech or FinTech.
You must demonstrate expertise in:
- Business software systems including MS Office and MS Teams;
- Modeling in MS Excel;
- Finance and Accounting;
- Collaboration, honesty, and mission-focused behavior;
- Self-management at the goal level including flagging risks and avoiding silent failure;
- Listening and empathy; you must show the ability to see the world from your teammates’ point of view and influence others to do the same;
- Written, in-person and in-presentation communication;
- Virtual-office communication and teamwork in a hybrid-office culture;
- Experience scaling venture-backed companies is preferred;